Footwear Designer 2, Running Innovation
Who We Are:
Since 1906, New Balance has empowered people through sport and craftsmanship to create positive change in communities around the world. We innovate fearlessly, guided by our core values and driven by the belief that conventions were meant to be challenged. We foster a culture in which every associate feels welcomed and respected, where leaders and creatives are inspired to shape the world of tomorrow by taking bold action today. At New Balance, We Got Now.
We're a rapidly growing brand with a strong drive for innovation. We're seeking a highly creative individual who can enhance our footwear innovation efforts and shape the future design direction for Performance Running.
As the Senior Footwear Designer - Running Innovation, your main responsibility will be to research, generate ideas, and design footwear products that strike a balance between functionality, aesthetics, and biomechanics, giving our company a competitive edge. You will champion design excellence by fostering innovation and encouraging risk-taking, acting as a catalyst for experimentation and change. Your role will involve supporting New Balance's innovation strategy through the creation of groundbreaking product concepts rooted in performance and craftsmanship. By leveraging advanced research and insights from consumers, you will develop innovative solutions for the road, track, and trails.
- Research new technologies, materials and design tools to identify future innovation opportunities.
- Work with internal experts and new vendors to envision future footwear applications.
- Leverage athlete and consumer insights to identify unmet needs.
- Create innovative concepts and footwear ingredients that meet New Balance’s innovation vision.
- Collaborate with all innovation functions to create functional prototypes and specifications to investigate feasibility of new ideas to support the running innovation pipeline.
- Work with the Sports Research Lab and New Balance athletes to develop and validate new footwear concepts.
- Explore new footwear constructions and material applications through digital and hands-on experimentations.
- Communicate design intent through 2D sketch, 3D modeling and physical models as well as advanced presentation tools.
- Design holistic footwear solutions for athletes and consumers. These innovations should also align with the Running category’s strategic plan in order to deliver unique and commercial products.
- Meets key deadlines and deliverables for projects and have a solid understanding of the product creation process.
- Work with the inline and innovation teams to help facilitate project transfers and communicate design intent.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUCCESS:
- Minimum 5 years Industrial Design experience with innovation focus or 5 years performance footwear design experience.
- Deep understanding of footwear constructions and manufacturing methods with Asia factory experience.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of ergonomics and biomechanics with athlete interaction experience.
- 2D design software: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro or ProCreate
- 3D modeling: Modo, Gravity Sketch, Rhino, Grasshopper
- Ability to create prototypes and proof of concept models using hands-on technique and digital tools.
- Experience in athletic/outdoor products or technical footwear products needed.
- Passionate about Running and the Outdoors
- Ability to travel for research and factory development trips.
- Needs to be able to work in Lawrence, MA 3 days a week.
Regular Associate Benefits
Our products are only as good as the people we hire, so we make sure to hire the best and treat them accordingly. New Balance offers a comprehensive traditional benefits package including three options for medical insurance as well as dental, vision, life insurance and 401K. We also proudly offer a slate of more nontraditional perks – opportunities like online learning and development courses, tuition reimbursement, $100 monthly student loan support and various mentorship programs – that encourage our associates to grow personally as they develop professionally. You’ll also enjoy a yearly $1,000 lifestyle reimbursement, 4 weeks of vacations, 12 holidays and generous parental leave, because work-life balance is more than just a buzzword – it’s part of our culture.
Temporary associates are provided three options for medical insurance as well as dental and vision insurance and an associate discount.
Part time associates are provided 401k, short term disability, a yearly $300 lifestyle reimbursement and an associate discount.
Flexible Work Schedule
For decades we have fostered a unique culture founded on our values with a particular focus on in-person teamwork and collaboration. Our North American hybrid model encourages rich in-person experiences, showcasing our commitment to teamwork and connection, while maintaining flexibility for associates. New Balance Associates currently work in office three days per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday). Our offices are fully open, and amenities are available across our North American office locations. To continue our focus on hybrid work we have introduced “Work from Anywhere” (WFA) for four weeks per calendar year. This model will help us enhance our culture while continuing to maintain elements of flexibility.
Equal Opportunity Employer
New Balance provides equal opportunities for all current and prospective associates and takes affirmative action to ensure that employment, training, compensation, transfer, promotion and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment are provided without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, handicap, genetic information and/or status as an Armed Forces service medal veteran, recently separated veteran, qualified disabled veteran or other protected veteran.
WE GOT NOW