Senior Designer, Fashion Footwear
lululemon is a yoga-inspired technical apparel company up to big things. The practice and philosophy of yoga informs our overall purpose to elevate the world through by unleashing everyone’s full potential. We are proud to be a growing global company with locations across North America, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, and Asia. We owe our success to our innovative product, our emphasis on our stores, our commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we get to make in every community we are in.
Within the umbrella of the newly created Portland organization, the Senior Footwear Designer will collaborate with the cross-functional development team to bring innovative ideas to life. You will use concept sketches, design software, prototyping skills, engineering knowledge, and hands on experience to design, refine and carefully document footwear designs. We expect this person to be an innovative, proven designer who can ideate, innovate and manage the design process of complex product systems through collaboration in a fast-paced environment.
A day in the life of the Senior Footwear Designer
- You demonstrate passion for advanced innovation, product creation and manufacturing.
- Work with the design leadership to implement brand vision, design language and product direction.
- You have advanced 3D design skills allowing you to utilize software tools to manipulate and perfect complex surfaces.
- Lead presentations with strong verbal and visual execution, while clearly communicating design vision.
- Self-Manage own creative process and execute towards given design languages within the category.
- Lead, manage, and drive multiple design projects from conceptualization to finished product, adhering to calendar deadlines.
- Partner with innovation team to incorporate new concepts into seasonal themes and designs.
- Apply market research, trend insight, and knowledge to interpret business briefs to select materials, and actively creates and presents new innovative concepts
- Create illustrations and technical drawings for new design concepts and digital renderings of materializations in applicable design programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), detailing concept, materials, and development specifications based on Lululemon brand design guidelines.
- Create and manage timely execution of tech/design packages ensuring all level of detail is accurate.
- Thrive in an environment with ambiguity and changes in priorities
- Clearly communicate complex technical topics to diverse audiences and at all levels within the organization
- Think both analytically and creatively with excellent problem-solving skills
- Research new materials, manufacturing technologies, and design methodologies
- Due to the nature of a small team, you are going to need to be able to “wear multiple hats” to accomplish product objectives and deliverables.
The Finer Print
- BS Degree in Industrial Design (or design related field)
- 7 - 10 years footwear design experience
- Experience in both fashion and athletic footwear design
- Mastery of the Adobe Suite, CAD and strong understanding of MS Office, MAC OS
- Expert ability to create technical footwear drawings and demonstrate knowledge of current trends and the ability to interpret trends.
- A wide knowledge of engineering materials and manufacturing methodology
- Strong understanding of an experience employing design, construction techniques, and appropriate use of materials, including extensive knowledge and full understanding of product design and development including outsole construction, last making, materials, color, etc.
- A demonstrated portfolio of work, with clear examples of commercialized designs
- Knowledge of plastic and foam part and tooling design
- Excellent multi-tasking and organization skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with high attention to detail
- Travel 20% of the time
Together, we work to create positive change to build a healthier, thriving future.