CONCEPTS DESIGNER - WOMEN’S COLOR
Who is Allbirds?
At Allbirds, we believe in using business as a force for good. We’re a global footwear and apparel brand with roots in New Zealand and our headquarters in San Francisco. Since 2016, we’ve been on a mission to prove that comfort, design, and sustainability aren’t mutually exclusive. Our commitment to creating better things in a better way is
fueled by a belief that the fashion industry needs to focus less on flash and more on thoughtfulness. And as a certified B Corp, we’re dedicated to making the most sustainable products we can using premium natural materials - designed for life’s everyday adventures.
Where we need help
We are on a fast-paced growth trajectory, and as our business expands, so does its intricacy. To support our mission of creating superior products in an ever-evolving industry, we are seeking an enthusiastic and talented Color Designer to join our Concepts Team. As a vital member of our team, you will play a crucial role in scaling our women’s business and product ranges. In this role, you will be responsible for implementing seasonal color palettes, as well as designing, creating, and enhancing products in our rapidly emerging and dynamic market. Your contribution will not only elevate the Allbirds brand, but also enhance the overall consumer experience throughout their journey with us. While the role is centered on Women's products, there will be many projects that offer greater breadth and variety within Allbirds product creation.
As part of our small team, we value your expertise and knowledge in executing the creative direction for future seasons. Collaboration will be key, as you will work closely with Color & Material Designers, Product Designers, Product Strategy & Merchandising, Development teams, and external partners. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, enjoy working collaboratively, and have a passion for making better things in a better way, we would love to have you join us. Together, we will energize our brand, drive growth, and continue to push the boundaries of natural innovation.
What does the job entail?
- Enhance the Allbirds brand recognition and effectively articulate brand positioning through color expression.
- Deliver top-notch creative concepts, designs, and research of new color applications and styles.
- Help build and define our color POV for both lifestyle and active products. ● Develop thought-provoking designs and elevate existing concepts. ● Translate verbal and/or written instructions into effective and compelling design applications.
- Support seasonal creative direction and storytelling through ideation, mood boards, and design explorations.
- Support the seasonal and project-based color needs of the Concepts & Surface Design team.
- Work with Concepts Director and graphic teammate to ensure all deliverables are on-point in order to hit deadlines.
- Work in a fast-paced environment and help push the boundaries of our creative output and growth.
- Partner with development team to support color dips and sample approval processes.
- Communicate seasonal creative direction to cross-functional partners.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- 2+ years of experience in color design or related fields
- Expertise in active and/or lifestyle footwear
- Knowledge of the ever changing women’s retail market
- In-depth knowledge of footwear construction, materials, finishing processes, and their impact on shoe coloring
- Strong understanding of color trends, color theory, and color application
- Proficient in Adobe CC: Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Familiarity with sustainable approaches to color application
- Conceptual thinker with the ability to translate ideas into innovative and meticulously crafted designs
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Creative problem-solver with the ability to generate effective solutions
- Familiarity with product manufacturing processes related to materials, fabrics, and construction
- Strategic thinker capable of ideating high-level concepts and executing detailed designs
- Able to articulate how color decision-making impacts sales
- Skilled in presenting creative ideas aligned with the vision of Allbirds
- Strong team player with initiative and a collaborative mindset
- Strategic problem solver who is self-motivated, productive, and efficient
- Passionate about design, sustainability, and technology
- Culturally aware both within and outside the product industry
- Sharp attention to detail
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Hunger for knowledge and continuous learning
- Proficient troubleshooter in color-related challenges
The pay range for this role is: $70,000- $90,000 and must be performed in our Portland, OR corporate office.
Allbirds routinely evaluates pay rates, and the ranges are subject to change based on market rates and other considerations. We factor in a number of components when determining starting pay, including the job and level you are hired into, location, skillset, experience, and peer compensation.
When you join our flock at Allbirds, we offer competitive pay as well as bonus and equity for eligible roles, healthcare, retirement savings, and other great benefits for the whole being. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to a specific plan or program terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, please see the detailed list below.
- Health benefits include options for 100% company paid medical for employees: HMO, HSA, &PPO (with employee premium), vision and dental coverage for the employee (with eligible dependents at an additional cost). Company paid OneMedical memberships available for members of certain medical plans. Company HSA contribution for enrolled HSA members.
- Financial benefits include company equity for eligible roles, 401(k) with employer matching contribution, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, company-paid life insurance and disability for full time roles and pre-tax savings programs for eligible healthcare, childcare and commuter expenses.
- Unlimited PTO, plus parental leave, volunteering, medical & family care leave, bereavement, jury duty, and voting.
- Support benefits through Modern Health (free coaching and therapy sessions), Employee Assistance Program and more.
Other Perks include the company discount (50%) on Allbirds products, reimbursement on eligible wellness expenses and charitable contributions, cellphone and more.
Please apply with your resume. We're excited to hear from you!
Allbirds is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Allbirds policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.