Sr. Designer, Color and Materials - UGG Footwear
Job Title: Sr. Designer, Color and Materials – UGG Footwear
Reports to: VP, Footwear Design
Location: Goleta, CA
The Senior Designer, Color and Materials is a key member of the Footwear Design Team. They combine a consumer-focused and brand-centric approach to help build the future of Ugg’s Footwear Color and Material Design.
Under the direction of the VP of Design and of the Design Director, the Senior Designer, Color and Materials, leads and manages the seasonal Color and Material design strategy, the execution of seasonal color palettes, the materials choices & development, and the new materials innovations and finishes. Through research and deep consumer understanding, they are on the cutting edge of color trends, fashion, art, design, lifestyle, material innovations, technologies, and performance related products. This role requires driving product excellence through the connection of design, development, and manufacturing in the Go-To-Market process.
We celebrate diversity-of your background, your experiences and your unique identity. We are committed to ensuring an inclusive and equitable workplace where all of our employees can Come as They Are. We believe that when we bring our different perspectives to work, we are truly Better Together.
The primary functions of this role, include but are not limited to:
- 1. Drive an emotional connection to UGG footwear through the use of narrative and authentic storytelling, curating, elevating and innovating on existing materials for UGG classics and iconic footwear products.
- 2. Create market relevant and brand appropriate color and material stories that tells an authentically UGG story in footwear products.
- 3. Create seasonal category specific direction of color, materials, and graphics.
- 4. Display in-depth understanding of consumer, brand positioning cohesion needs as it relates to category and division.
- 5. Create innovative materials solutions for category or gender specific line.
- 6. Bring to life trend-relevant, narrative-driven concepts by being a color specialist at the product and collection level.
- 7. Maintain materials calendar, timelines, and deadlines for category and division resulting in the timely completion of each product. Participate in multiple seasonal projects according to Critical path’s deadlines.
- 8. Deliver compelling presentations to inform broader teams on seasonal color and materials direction and reasoning.
- 9. Explore options and propose to the Design team and the cross functional teams the seasonal materials strategy for products, line segments and initiatives.
- 10. Collaborate with cross-functional teams : design, product marketing, product development and materials teams and focus on important seasonal color and material solutions drivers of market success.
Who You Are
- Innovative and creative problem solver with a great taste level
- Passionate about fashion and performance trends and pulse
- Good experience and great knowledge of materials development both for textiles and leathers
- Soft skills: excellent collaborative skills , emotional intelligence; flexibility to adapt to change quickly; and the ability to work with different teams.
- Clear, precise verbal and written communication skills: strong ability to convey desired, end-result on all color and material developments to Materials and PD Team
- Highly motivated, a team player and motivated self-starter with great work ethic with true investment in product
- An approachable, empathetic, non-hierarchical and inspirational leadership style
We’d love to hear from people with
- Ambitiously driven and believes in own ability to lead UGG forward
- Passion for Color & Material Design in footwear product
- Extensive experience in color and material concept design and development, materials vendor landscaping, competitive landscape research and analysis
- Footwear product creation process, materials or textile construction & manufacturing experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Fashion Design, Arts or Product Design and 7 years of progressive post-baccalaureate experience in the job offered or a fashion-related occupation. Experience must include:
- Development of products, including coordinating with multiple partners to ensure the accuracy of produced designs a plus
- Ability to collaborate with other designers/Design Directors to create palettes and color flow based on category color strategy
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of color technology and how to achieve desired color effects: materials, dyes, finishes and color achievability
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Experience working under the pressure of competing and sometimes conflicting priorities
- Experience with fashion product preferred
- Highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) and MS PPT on a Mac Platform
What We'll Give You
- Competitive Pay and Bonuses - We’ve created a variety of competitive compensation programs to foster career development, reward success and to show our employees just how much they’re valued.
- Financial Planning and wellbeing - No matter what financial goals our employees have set, we want to help them get there. Our plans provide powerful ways to protect income, pay for expenses and invest in the future.
- Time away from work - Sometimes we need time away to be with family, focus on our health or just simply recharge. Our plans support our employees’ needs to get out, get healthy and come back stronger than ever.
- Extras, discounts and perks - Being a valued member of the Deckers Brands team means more than just a paycheck. From generous discounts to community-based programs, we offer a variety of cool extras
- Growth and Development - Deckers Brands was built on the idea of pursuing passion. That’s why we offer extensive opportunities and support for personal and professional development.
- Health and Wellness - There’s nothing basic about our comprehensive health and wellness programs and offerings. While at work and at play, we aim to support a healthy lifestyle.
$125,000 - $130,000
The salary range posted reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for this role in our Goleta, CA location. Individual pay will be determined by location and additional factors, including job related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Diversity and inclusion are key to our success. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and our employees are people with different strengths, experiences and backgrounds who share a passion for our brands. We welcome qualified applicants regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, medical condition and all of the other beautiful parts of your identity.
MOTIVATED BY THE PURSUIT